Two pots - true story

The two pots

I just recently moved to a new apartment. It has not been an easy move so I am still struggling with
packing and unpacking stuff. I have a beautiful place with a kitchen that is bigger than many. I want
to keep it tidy and clutter free. I don’t wish to throw away things away that I have worked so hard to
acquire, unless I absolutely have to. I am therefore putting everything useful together, and keeping
them appealing to the eye. That is my opinion.

In my house and kitchen, I believe in having most things handy for when I need them. My struggle
right now is between two pots. Really, just one. I had put it on the trash heap, ready to go out when
I realized I needed a bigger pot to steam some vegetables I wanted to eat. I took it back since
I did not have another pot big enough to fit the steamer. Later, I found another pot the same  size as it.
I decided this one would replace it. But now I am torn apart. The pot (the black one), even if it does
not have the original handles, is pretty sturdy. It still looks clean and would last years with its intact
glass lid.


If you are from Zambia, like me, you appreciate the value of a good pot and how expensive it could be
to get. Plus, it is not just the cost, it is the memories attached to it. The precious meals I have cooked
for my children in that pot. I remember that it came to me at a time when I had no pots of my own.
It was given to me at a the most trying time in my life (any people gone through a divorce out there?).


Question: Do I throw it away along with the troubled memories and period it represents, or do I let it
live with me and find new handles (love handles) for it? Who am I kidding, it will probably take me
another year to even think of looking for handles. Where do you find them anyway?

Do not misunderstand me; all you who talk about hoarding, etc. :)  I have thrown and given away
many pots. (Which reminds me, I have a cute story to share about another beloved little pot,
sometime in the future). The struggle is real right now.

Again, what do you think I should do? Do you have a pot you think belongs to the trash?
Why are you keeping it? Please share.





The black pot

Comments